Now taking bookings for 2020 – ALL COURSES FULLY BOOKED – next courses 2021
We have 2 types of course: an evening course running over several weeks (starting Jan) with support or a 1 Day Intensive Course (May). Please register early to ensure your place as we are always over-subscribed.
The next available Beginners Beekeeping Theory Course will commence Wednesday 29th Jan 2020 (an 8 week Theory course, Wednesday evenings 7-9pm), to 18th March inclusive, culminating in the last week with the opportunity of buying a hive (National) plus all the equipment needed in your first year of beekeeping at a discounted rate .
The content of the theory course includes:
• The Bee Colony, different castes and life cycle of the colony
• Different types of hive and frames, equipment needed and costs
• The beekeeping year
• Swarming and artificial swarm control
• Husbandry: Pests and Disease, hive hygiene
• The Honey Crop and hive products, how to extract, store and label honey
• Preparing for winter, feeding, treatments
• Making a Frame, opportunity to purchase a Beehive.
The cost of The Beginners Theory Beekeeping 8 week program is £95.00 and takes place at Worplesdon Golf Club. The course is always over-subscribed and usually fully booked by September; so book early!
A training manual, Tea & coffee are provided.
We can only accommodate 30 candidates on the theory, to be sure of a place, book promptly.
To inquire about available places please complete the Form at Enquiries and one of the team will contact you to discuss preferred available course dates and venues.
The Beginners Beekeeping Practical course follows on from the end of the theoretical part with a weekly practical on Wednesday evenings 6-8pm from Mid April 2020 running for 8 sessions at our training apiary in Pyrford, just down the road from RHS Wisley Gardens.
We then have nucleus’ of bees and National Hives, plus a full set of equipment required for your first year of beekeeping available to purchase at discounted rates. We will provide all necessary insurance, full support, a bee buddy and membership to enable you to build a social network of like-minded beekeepers and make the most of your new found hobby. However, we do recommend you read the Defra booklet on Starting with Bees.
Later in the season we provide additional free one off days to demonstrate clearing supers of honey, extraction, varroa treatment and setting up for winter for all attendees.
The minimum age for candidates participating is 16 years old, but does not preclude, providing they are accompanied by an adult.
Each apiary has a minimum of around 30 bee colonies and candidates are invited to practice their newly acquired knowledge with Trainers along with other beekeepers.
Because of the practical nature of the course we can only accommodate 24 candidates, to be sure of a place, book promptly.
The cost of The Beginners Follow on Practical Beekeeping April – Aug weekly Program is £95.00
To inquire about available places please complete the Form at Enquiries and one of the team will contact you to discuss preferred available course dates and venues. If you do not have a Bee suit they can be provided.
Every subject is supported with detailed hand-outs.
One Day Theory and Practical Crash Course in Beekeeping Saturday 9th May 2020 – NOW FULL – next one day course will take place 2021.
Already have some knowledge of bees, don’t need a long course? Learn how to keep bees, and purchase your equipment, hive and bees in the same day!
We provide a one day theory and practical course which takes place at Worplesdon Golf Club on Saturday 9th May 2020 (09:00 – 5:00pm)
- Biology and life cycle of the honeybee.
- Workings of the colony – healthy bees, what to look for when opening a hive.
- Castes and their roles in the colony
- Beekeeping Year
- Swarm Management
- Management of Pests and Diseases
- Products of the hive
- After lunch we shall go out into the apiary, learn about safety, how to deal with stings.
- Hands on session with the bees, manipulating a colony and examining frames of brood and stores.
Back in the classroom:
- Beekeeping equipment – hives, bees and equipment which we have for sale
- Time for questions
- Orders can be collected for equipment, hives, frames, foundation and bees at the end of the session.
There will be ample time to answer any questions.
What is included:
- 9:00am – 5pm
- Full day workshop
- Training Pack
- Light Lunch
- Please wear appropriate clothing and footwear (you’ll need wellington boots for apiary visit)
- Bee Suits & Gloves Provided
Cost of Course is £100
We can only accommodate 18 candidates on the one day course, to be sure of a place, book promptly.
All equipment, bees, hives can be purchased at the same time to take away at the end of the session.
Bank Details: Surrey Bees Training. Sort Code: 16.19.30 / Account 10023095